Welcome to the home page of the Delhi Gymkhana Club India Open Bridge Tournament 2020 for Dhampur Sugar Mills Trophy being organised by Delhi Gymkhana Club from 27th February to 1st March 2020. This tournament is categorised as National Zonal Qualifying Event for BFI Ranking Point Scheme 2020.
|To view the Tournament Brochure click here||To register your Team Click here|
|To register your Pair Click here|
About Delhi Gymkhana Club
The Delhi Gymkhana Club is one of the oldest Clubs in India. It moved to its present location on the 3rd July 1913. It was then called the “Imperial Delhi Gymkhana Club” and Mr. Spencer Harcourt Butler was its first President. When India gained Independence in 1947, the word “Imperial” was dropped and it was simply known as “Delhi Gymkhana Club”.
Gymkhana club or the Imperial Delhi Gymkhana club had it humble origins in July 1913. In the initial years, the Polo Club was seen as a part of Gymkhana Club until it was achieved off as a separate entity in the 1930s when the Polo Club moved to New Delhi. The history of the Delhi Gymkhana Club’s origin is not well documented and it is only after 1927 that the club’s history starts getting recorded.
The Gymkhana Club in New Delhi was built at its current address in the early 1930s. The contract for building was given to architect Robert T Russell whose other two building become landmarks in the city: The Connaught place and the commanders-in-chief’s residence, later known as Teen Murti House the residence of prime minister Nehru. Russell was keen that the design of the new structure should complement the bungalows that were coming up right across the road. His drawing of the main building, the residential areas, and even the servant quarters reflect the spartan yet the majestic building set amidst green lawns. In fact, Russell remained involved in the Club’s management and refurbishment until the 1930s as a member of the general committee. The coming up of a new structure that was contracted to one of the two big contractors of New Delhi, Sir Teja Singh Malik, saw the main building take shape with a gravel path in front and a swimming bath close to Safdarjung Road.
The web pages of this tournament have been created by Sudhir Aggarwal