DGC Centenary 2013 – Final Report and ResultsSeptember 11, 2013
DELHI GYMKHANA CLUB CENTENARY BRIDGE TOURNAMENT
The Centenary bridge tournament organized by Delhi Gymkhana Club was held from 6th to 8th Sept 2013. A record total of 72 Teams and 192 Pairs participated in the tournament organized in a grand fashion by the Organisers.
The three foreign teams invited by DGC – Lahore Gymkhana, Karachi Four and Japan added the International flavor to the tournament.
Team of Four Event
After 8 rounds of 10 Boards each (6 rounds on first day and 2 rounds on 2nd day before lunch), top 7 teams and one top DGC team out of the remaining DGC teams qualified for the Quarter Finals.
1) Maya Meera Sneha (Vijay Goel, Sukamal Das, Sankar Acharya, Samir Basak, Satyabrata Mukherjee, Abhijeet Chakraborty)
2) Agsar Paints (N R Kirubakara Moorthy, Uttam Gupta, N Niranjan, R kannan, D Vijay, BVS Prajwal)
3) Hemant Jalan (H K Jalan, A Malhotra, S Dutta, K Nandi, K Bendre, S Thakral)
4) BMAL (Bimal Sicka, Rajmohan, Jagdish, Billu, Karunakar Reddy, Prakash Kejriwal)
5) Bangur Cements (Subhash Gupta, Manas Mukherjee, Subir Majumder, Suman Sengupta, Debasish Ray)
6) Aristos (Sanjoy Bhattachary, S K Iyengar, Dr Srinivas, Himani Khandelwal, Rajeev Khandelwal, Srikrishan)
7) Texan Aces (P Sridharan, Keyzad Ankalesaria, S Sunderram, Jaggy Shivdasani)
8) DGC Aces (Dr Anand Virmani, Mrs. Sahni, Brig N Khanna, Dalip Coelho, Brig S Batra, Yogesh Tewari)
The rest of the teams continued to play Extended Swiss League for 4 rounds of 10 Boards each to decide the four prize winning positions. The following were the winners:
1) Formidables (Kiran Nadar, K R Venkat Raman, Rajeshwar Tewari, Sudhir Aggarwal and B Satyanarayana)
2) Dhampur Sugar Mills (Ashok Goel, Vinod Sharma, Pritish Kushari, Debabrata Majumder, Sumit Mukherjee, Bhabesh Saha)
3) Pals (A K Bansal, V Singh, B N Batra, Pradeep Prakash, Sultan Zuberi, Shantanu Rastogi)
4) KDI (Pankaj Singh, Kr Vijayanand Singh, Indresh Agarwal, S K Bandopadhyay, Rita Chocksi, Pradeep Singh)
Quarter Final was played over 3 rounds of 10 Board each as a league among two groups of 4 teams each. Bangur Cement and BMAL qualified from Group A and Texan Aces and Agsar paints qualified from Group B for the Semi Finals.
In 3 x 12 Boards Semi Finals, Texan Aces defeated BMAL by 51 IMPs (49-14, 23-7) and Agsar Paints defeated Bangur Cement by 70 IMPs (51-14, 20-21, 36-12).
In 3 x 12 Boards Final, Texan Aces defeated Agsar Paints after trailing in the first set, by 42 IMPs (15-33, 37-9, 54-22). Congratulations to all the winners.
Open Pairs Event
The Open Pairs event (IMP Pairs) was played over two sessions of 26 Boards each. Due to the record turnout there were 5 sections of 14 tables each and two sections of 13 tables each.
The following were the 6 prize winning positions after 2 sessions:
1 123.0 PRADYUT BHATTACHARYA – ATANU GANGULY
2 114.0 G MANNA – K BHATTACHARYA
3 100.0 K NANDI – S DATTA
4 99.0 S SUNDARESHAN – ARJUN SAWHNEY DGC
5 95.5 JAGDISH BISWAS – PARTNER
6 93.0 A N BANERJEE – R P TRIPATHI
The detailed results (round by round) can be seen on the Event website.